[Sigiii-l] Monthly update -- April

Bowen, Aaron asbowen at csuchico.edu
Tue Apr 7 19:32:35 EDT 2009

To the members of SIG/III:

Greetings!  I hope the opening months of 2009 have been both productive
and enjoyable for you.  I just wanted to take a moment to write a note
to you all outlining some of the activities that have been going on
within the SIG.

At the SIG's business meetings in late October, the officers of the SIG
agreed upon the need for more regular communication, both as a means of
keeping each other updated about the SIG's activities and operations,
but also to foster a vibrant community engaging in discussion of
different aspects of international information.  As Chair of the SIG, I
have been writing monthly e-mails to this effect to the other SIG
officers.  Following a suggestion from Michel Menou, however, I would
like to do the same for the SIG members as a whole.  To this end, I am
beginning a communications model that alternates each month between a
message to the officers and a message to the whole SIG.  This April I
offer the following notes to the whole SIG.  Of course you should not
feel limited to these mailings of you wish to get in contact - you are
welcome to contact me at any time at asbowen at csuchico.edu.

Beyond this new communications model, another of the SIG's goals for the
year is to update our website.  I'm pleased to say that the problems
that caused the site to reject my attempts at updating it have magically
disappeared.  (I'm still not sure what exactly was preventing my updates
from taking hold, but the issue is gone, and I am able to update
individual pages without problem).  I have updated the list of officers
and also the list of InfoShare recipients, and over the next few days I
will update the remainder of these pages.

I believe that updating our website goes beyond merely updating its
content, however.  I believe the site is in need of a full facelift.  I
will work with my fellow officers to generate ideas on doing this, and I
will present a mock-up of a revamped website to the SIG for further
thoughts and commentary.

Last but not least, I would like to formally present these thoughts, as
well as current events relating to international information, in a new
edition of the SIG/III Newsletter.  Look for that coming soon!

I wish everyone a pleasant week,

Aaron Bowen
Chair, SIG/III
Reference/Subject Librarian