[Sigiii-l] Prof. William Z. Nasri passed away

M.J. Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Mon Mar 10 13:47:10 EDT 2008

It's onl last nite that I learned of the sad event.
I am copying below the obituary from the University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh University Times 40/13 of March 6, 2008
I have known Bill Nasri for many other interests beyond copyright, in
particular agricultural information services and international issues.
Michel Menou

>       OBITUARY: William Z. Nasri
>

> William Z. Nasri, professor emeritus in the School of Information
> Sciences (SIS), died Feb. 22, 2008, of natural causes. He was 82.
>
> Nasri was a member of the SIS community for more than 30 years,
> beginning in 1964 as a research associate while he was enrolled in the
> PhD program.
>
> In addition to his doctorate in library science, awarded in 1975,
> Nasri earned a Master of Library Science degree in 1965 and a
> certificate in advanced study in library administration in 1967, both
> at Pitt. He retired from Pitt in 1996.
>
> Nasri taught courses in legal, international and management issues. In
> the 1970s, he introduced a course in legal aspects of management and
> information handling, a first-of-its-kind graduate course in a library
> science school.
>
> Nasri also was an expert in copyright and intellectual property law,
> helping to rewrite federal laws to take into account the burgeoning
> field of information technology.
>
> He studied the impact of copy machines on copyrighted material,
> culminating in his 1976 dissertation, “The impact of reprography on
> the commercial publication of scientific and technical periodicals:
> with particular reference to the case of the Williams and Wilkins
> Company v. the United States.”
>
> In addition to numerous journal articles, Nasri wrote two books,
> “Crisis in Copyright” (1976) and “Legal Issues for Library and
> Information Managers” (1987). He also served as special counsel for
> copyright and University copyright consultant in Pitt’s Office of the
> General Counsel in the 1970s and ’80s.
>
> During his Pitt career, Nasri served on a numerous University Senate
> and other committees.
>
> Outside the University, Nasri was on a number of editorial boards,
> including serving as assistant editor of the Encyclopedia of Library
> and Information Science from 1968 to 1983.
>
> In 1975 he was elected to membership in Beta Phi Mu, the library
> science honorary society.
>
> In 1988, he was awarded a Fulbright senior fellowship to teach and
> conduct research in Rabat, Morocco.
>
> According to “Tradition in Transition: A History of the School of
> Information Sciences,” Nasri spoke five languages and taught in 28
> countries.
>
> Born in Tanta, Egypt, of Lebanese parents who met in Egypt and lived
> there when he was born, Nasri earned a bachelor’s degree in 1952 and a
> law degree in 1957 from the University of Alexandria. Prior to coming
> to the United States, he practiced law in Egypt from 1960 to 1964.
>
> He left Egypt in 1964 with his wife, Eunice, a nurse who had been
> working in Tanta, and came to Pittsburgh, her hometown.
>
> Nasri was past president of the Oakland Rotary Club, a member of the
> William D. McIlroy #269 Masonic Lodge and a life member emeritus of
> the Green Tree Library Board.
>
> He was an elder at the Wallace Memorial Presbyterian Church, and was
> [...]

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Visiting Professor, SLAIS, University College London, U.K.
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
F-49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: micheljmenou[at]gmail[dot]com