[Sigiii-l] [Fwd: Journal 'Work Organisation, Labour and Globalisation', Volume I No 2]

M.J. Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Fri Oct 12 09:43:42 EDT 2007

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: Journal 'Work Organisation, Labour and Globalisation', Volume I no 2
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:13:51 +0200
De: Sandra Volders <sandra.volders at hiva.kuleuven.be>

We are pleased to announce the publication of Volume I No 2 of Work
Organisation, Labour and Globalisation, also published independently as
a 208-page book entitled Defragmenting: towards a critical understanding
of the new global division of labour, in association with Merlin Press
in the UK and Fernwood Publishing in Canada.

Work Organisation, Labour and Globalisation brings together insights
from the fields of Political Economy, Organisational theory,
Communications Studies, Labour Sociology, Gender Studies, Economic
Geography, Trade Union Studies and Development Studies to further our
understanding of the new international division of labour that is
emerging in a global knowledge economy.

and take advantage of our special introductory rates (valid only until
November) Or to read online go to
<http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/analytica/wolg>
Please forward to anyone you think might be interested.

Contents
Conceptualising globalisation: fossil energy, global finance and the
labour market by Elmar Altvater
Capitalist flattening or flattening capitalism? class forces and
political choices in the global knowledge economy by David Coates
The emergence of EMERGENCE: the challenge of designing research on the
new international division of labour by Ursula Huws
Network economy or just a new breed of multinationals? relocation of
eWork as a window into the restructuring of value chains by Jörg Flecker
Catching a butterfly: Mapping eWork in Europe and Australia by Peter Standen
Navigating the seamless environment in the global supply chain:
implications for Canadian regions and workers by Penny Gurstein
Regions and firms in eWork Relocation Dynamics: Pittsburgh’s call centre
industry by Chris Benner
Smart City North: local economic and labour force impacts of call
centres by Laura Schatz and Laura C. Johnson
Global forces and national institutions: the shaping of call centre
employment in Colombia by Anita Weiss
Behind the screens: telemediated work in the Canadian public sector by
Norene Pupo
Workers' knowledge in the 'knowledge society': voices from the South by
Sujata Gothoskar
Productive restructuring and labour: the auto industry in Brazil by
Marcia Leite
The nexus of informatisation and internationalisation: a new stage in
the internationalisation of labour by Andreas Boes and Tobias Kämpf

Submissions to future issues are welcomed, especially from contributors
in the global South. Future topics will include: trade union responses
to globalisation, the role of global corporations in the privatisation
of public services, informalisation and migration.
APOLOGIES FOR CROSS-POSTING

Ursula Huws
Professor of International Labour Studies
Working Lives Research Institute, London Metropolitan University
and Director of Analytica Social and Economic Research
web: www.analyticaresearch.co.uk
tel: +44 20 7226 8411
fax: +44 20 7226 0813
mobile: +44 7711 3292 67

10/10/2007 17:11

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Visiting Professor, SLAIS, University College London, U.K.
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Chair ASIS&T International Relations Committee http://www.asis.org/irc.html
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
F-49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: micheljmenou[at]gmail[dot]com