[Sigiii-l] SIG-III 2007-2008 chair-elects and officer positions

Yunfei Du ydu at unt.edu
Wed Oct 10 12:11:26 EDT 2007

Dear Sig-IIIers,

We just want to clarify the message was intended to let all know who
the candidates were, that at the Annual III Biz Meeting the formal
election will be held, with nominations accepted from the floor,
providing only that the candidates have previously indicated their
willingness to serve and confirmed their membership. Thanks to those who
already responded.

Respectfully,

Duncan OMole, Chair
Yunfei Du, Chair-elect

>>> "Yunfei Du" <ydu at unt.edu> 10/7/2007 8:45 PM >>>
Dear SIG-III members,

Sig-iii is nominating Mr. Aaron Bowen for the SIG-III 2008 Chair-elect
and Mr. Jonathan Levitt as co-Chair-elect positions. Please read their
statements and email your vote and/or comments to ydu at unt.edu and cc
domole at worldbank.org by Midnight October 12.  Also, if you are
interested in serving as an officer or stand for you current position,
please let us know so we can compile them in the next newsletter.

Here are statements from the candidates:
>From Aaron Bowen: “Ever since the idea of studying international
information hit me in 2001, I have benefitted both professionally and
personally from examining the myriad of issues that stem from the
nexus
between information and international worldviews.  But more to the
point, I have seen the value these examinations hold for members of
different societies who seek to promote information access, use, and
information literacy in their communities around the world.  SIG-III
serves as a powerful and constructive vehicle to further that goal,
and
I am proud to be involved in the organization as the SIG-III Blog
administrator and Plaza representative.  I would be pleased to extend
this commitment to service as the Chair-Elect in 2007-08, and then as
the Chair in 2008-09. Serving in this capacity broaden and enrich my
exposure to different ideas about international information from
diverse
cultures, but again more to the point, it would allow me to offer my
talents and abilities to others interested in examining information in
global context. Specifically it would allow me to serve the other
SIG-III officers in furthering the different programs within SIG-III,
including InfoShare, the Paper Contest, the Mentorship Program, and
the
Global Plaza. Working with others on these programs would be a
wonderful
opportunity, and I would enjoy taking on the challenging but rewarding
position of Chair-Elect and then later Chair”.

>From Jonathan Levitt: “Thanks very much for nominating me.  In my
first year as a SIG III officer I was both Co-Chair of the
International
Paper Contest and Communications Officer.  In my second year I was
Communications Officer.  If elected co-Chair-elect I would build on my
experiences in these two very different parts of SIG III.   From 2001
2005 I was Vice-Chair and then Chair of a national society of visually
challenged students and teachers, and from 2005 to 2007 I have been
Vice-Chair and then Chair of my local ASIS&T Chapter.  If elected
co-Chair-elect I would draw on these other experiences of service”.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,
Duncan Omole, Chair
Yunfei Du, Chair-elect