[Sigiii-l] ANNOUNCEMENT: Winners of the 2007 ASIST SIG III International Paper Contest

domole at worldbank.org domole at worldbank.org
Mon May 21 16:41:13 EDT 2007

Dear All,

It is my great pleasure to announce the results of the eighth International
Paper Contest organized by the American Society for Information Science &
Technology (ASIST) Special Interest Group on International Information Issues
(SIG III). Thanks to Julian, Judy and their jury team for making it happen!

Our six winners this year are:

1. Shampa Paul, India.
"A case study of e-governance initiatives in India."

2. Soumitra Sharma, India.
"Exploring best practices in public-private partnerships (ppp) in e-government
through select Asian case-studies."

3. Rama Devi, India.
"Towards promotion and dissemination of IK. A case of NIRD."

4. M.Masoom Raza Amar Nath, India.
"Use of IT in University Libraries of Punjab, Chandigarh and Himachal Pradesh :
A Comparative study."

5. Elsa Barber, Silvia Pisano, Sandra Romagnoli, Verónica Parsiale and Gabriela
De Pedro y Carolina Gregui, Argentina.
"User Interface of Web Opacs in Mercosur Member and Associate Countries."

6. Medha Joshi, India.
"Digital resources for information accessibility at the point of care: an
overview of Library Information System at Tata Memorial Hospital."

The theme of this year?s contest was "Joining Research and Practice: Social
Computing and Information Science."

The principal authors of each of the six winning papers will be awarded a
two-year individual membership to ASIST. In addition, the leading two winners,
Shampa Paul and Soumitra Sharma will be awarded a minimum of $1,000 each to
attend the October 18-25, 2007 ASIST Annual Meeting, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

These winning papers and other submitted papers for the competition will be
considered for publication by Elsevier's International Information and Library
Review, which is edited by Toni Carbo.

Thanks to the generous donations from participants of the October 6 2006 Kenya
Embassy Fundraiser, Elsevier, and many of our previous organization and
individual donors. Your efforts have enabled us to continue with this
International Contest. Further fundraising effort is underway and we welcome
donations as well as entries to the ongoing raffle to support the contest.
Updates will be provided periodically as we get closer to the conference.

Congratulations to the winners!

The Contest Committee worked really hard in selecting the winning papers. The
paper contest was organized by Julian Warner (Chair) and Judy Jeng (co-Chair).

The judges were:

Julian Warner, The Queen's University of Belfast, School of Management and
Economics. Belfast, Northern Ireland.
Judy Jeng, New Jersey City University, Congressman Frank J. Guarini Library,
Jersey City, New Jersey, USA.
Yin Zhang, Kent State University, School of Library and Information Science,
Kent, Ohio, USA.
Yunfei Du, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan.

We thank the jury members for their selfless effort and our donors for their
compassion which makes it possible to develop and sustain this international
network of digital scholars and experts on digital libraries and information
technology in developing countries.