[Sigiii-l] [Fwd: incom-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 17]

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 30 12:36:54 EST 2007

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:56:30 +0100
From: Geert Lovink <geert at xs4all.nl>
Subject: <incom> Wireless Networking for the Developing World
To: incom-l at incommunicado.info

Wireless Networking for the Developing World

http://wndw.net/

The massive popularity of wireless networking has caused equipment
costs to continually plummet, while equipment capabilities continue to
increase. By applying this technology in areas that are badly in need
of critical communications infrastructure, more people can be brought
online than ever before, in less time, for very little cost. We hope to
not only convince you that this is possible, but also show how we have
made such networks work, and to give you the information and tools you
need to start a network project in your local community.
The book

This book was created by a team of individuals who each, in their own
field, are actively participating in the ever-expanding Internet by
pushing its reach farther than ever before. Over a period of a few
months, we have produced a complete book that documents our efforts to
build wireless networks in the developing world.

We hope that you find these materials and this website useful. Please
feel free to contribute your own experiences on the wiki and mailing
list, and help make the next edition even better.

You can download the book in PDF form as a single file (2.0 MB), or in
chapters.

The printed book

You can order a printed and bound copy of the book from Lulu.com, a
print-on-demand service. The PDF will be updated periodically, and
ordering from the print-on-demand service ensures that you will always
receive the latest revision.

Resources

There are currently several volunteer translation projects underway.
Our readers have also contributed their own case studies and links to
useful sites. Please feel free to submit your own resources and
experiences on the wiki.