[Sigiii-l] Community Informatics Workshop - Sunday October 15, 2006

Nadia Caidi nadia.caidi at utoronto.ca
Tue Sep 26 15:43:18 EDT 2006

COMMUNITY INFORMATICS WORKSHOP

You are invited to attend the Community Informatics workshop at the
University of Michigan School of Information, to be held on Sunday, 15
October 2006 (9:30am-5:00pm) before the beginning of the iSchools
conference.

ORGANIZERS

This event is jointly sponsored by the Community Informatics Initiative
at the University of Illinois (Ann Bishop and Chip Bruce), the Community
Information Corps at the University of Michigan (Steve Jackson, Maurita
Holland, Joan Durrance, Paul Resnick, Dan Atkins, and Edward Vielmetti),
and CRACIN at the University of Toronto (Nadia Caidi and Andrew Clement).

WORKSHOP THEMES

The pre-workshop discussion identified some themes of common interest to
the event organizers. We're expecting that the day will touch on these
and more topics as things proceed.

* conceptual foundations of community informatics
* research opportunities
* design of curriculums and courses
* professional practice
* civic engagement and advocacy

The event is organized around Open Space principles (Owen, 1997) which
focus on who is going to be at the event and what they're interested in.
The organizers provide space, transportation information, enough blank
surfaces to write on so that people can self-organize, and a general
theme for the day. Everything else is up to you, the participants.

An intended output from the event is a shared vision statement from
participants which will be presented at a community informatics session
at the iSchool conference, and we will allot time at the end of the day
to synthesize some of the discussion into that.

WHEN

The Community Informatics Workshop, 2006 is an all day event that will
begin at 9:30 AM on Sunday, October 15, 2006 and will end at 5:00 PM
that day. Below is a tentative schedule of the day (subject to revision
  to match the needs and interests of the participants registered).

* 9:30 am: introduction and welcome; participant introductions and
agenda setting
* 10:00 - 4:00 pm: agenda as set by participants, to include a poster
session, five or more working sessions, lunch, and breaks for conversation
* 4:00 - 5:00 pm: recap of day; joint session to present and prepare
community informatics vision statement.

POSTERS

The lunch session (noon to 2 pm) is long in order to provide time for
people to present posters or other artifacts to share with conference
participants, and to talk about the projects they are working on.
If you are interested in bringing an artifact or displaying a poster to
showcase your current research, please email the title, authors'
contact, and a brief abstract to Nadia Caidi (caidi at fis.utoronto.ca) by
October 10, 2006.

REGISTRATION

Attendance to the workshop is free, but we please ask that you register
for the event. Registation can be done either by:
- sending an email to Edward Vielmetti (emv at umich.edu)
- or by appending a comment to the page: http://cic.si.umich.edu/node/520
In all cases, please include a *short bio and a brief statement* of
your background and the nature of your current interests and activities
in the realm of community informatics.
Since our time at the workshop is brief, the statements will be used to
help us get to know each other, and to have a lasting record of the
growing community of interest in CI. If you cannot attend for whatever
reason but would like to send regrets or be informed of future similar
events, we'd like that information as well.

WHERE

The University of Michigan School of Information is hosting this
workshop. The school web site provides directions. For those attending
the iSchool conference, West Hall is about a ten minute walk across
campus from the Rackham Building, and we'll be meeting in the Erlicher
Room on the fourth floor. Follow the signs.

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Please check regularly our Workshop page at:
http://cic.si.umich.edu/node/520