[Sigiii-l] It was a pleasure attending ASIST& SIG III meetings

pku at nic.in pku at nic.in
Thu Nov 16 08:23:39 EST 2006

Hello,

It was wonderful experience to meet diverse International Group of scolars
and practioners. Technical sessions were full of presentations and
snapshots of information science research and case studies.

Program was the mix of research, practices, intraction, social events and
exhibition.
Alumni Reception, international Reception, Awards Luncheon and Annual
president’s Reception provided great opportunities to come close to and
discuss issues with other people and to understand them and their
perspectives better.

While in Austin, I had the opportunity to familiarize with cultures of
differnt parts of the world but also in paricular to American life. I
tried to make most of the opportunities and resources available. It was an
enjoyment to learn scholarly advancements.

When I learned during July 2006 that our paper is among winners of SIG III
International Contest, Mr Moni(Coauthor) thought of our organization's
egranthalaya digital agenda in right direction and spirit and decided to
present the paper for awareness and benifit of International community.

I was very much interested to meet once again the faculty and scholars
from GSLIS, Champaign. During Almuni reception, it was very happy moment
to see after three years Linda Smith, Allen Renear, Oksana Zavalina,
Bharat Mehra, Kathryn A La Barre, Boyd, and others from GSLIS, UIUC. My
contact, memory and association  with them was rejuvenated.

I found comfortable stay at Hilton Hotel situated in downtown. City of
Austin is very beatiful full of spring season with pleasant weather and
climate.

Today ASIST has become truly global program with International
participants and issues discussed each year. Meeting people from various
parts of the world includig Indonesia, South Korea, China, Japan, Canada,
Europe, Africa, etc has deepened the belief in universality of human kind
and it being an essentially borderless world.

I have resumed my office work after having returned India with refreshing
reminiscences of the  ASIST 2006. Nadia Caidi, Duncan Omole, President
Michael Leach, Richard Hill, Carline Haynes, and many more present there
were wonderful people and it was great meeting them. Assistance from the
people at the registration desk was great. I can't forget excellent team
work from SIG III specially by Duncan, Nadia, Caryn, Catherine, Vika,
Toni, Jonathan, Aaron, student members.

I am thankful to ASIST, my organization National Informatics Centre,
NICSI(Delhi), Director General(NIC), Mr M Moni(Dy Director General NIC)
and all the other people who made it possible for me to have these
rewarding experiences. It is indeed great to have the two-year membership
of ASIST as it provides a valuable opportunity to maintain the link with
professional colleagues across the world. As in my meetings with ASIST and
SIG III, we would be happy to extend support from National Informatics
Centre and India to make success the ASIST initiatives. Specially we would
be much more interested to be associated in the International Information
Issues and eGovernment issues.

Many heartiest thanks to one and all.

Pradip

Praddip Kumar Upadhyay
Scientist "D" & Officer Incharge Library
National Informatics Centre
Government of India
Block-A, CGO Complex, New Delhi(India)
Ph: 91-11-24360567, 91-11-24305481