[Sigiii-l] Fw: [Sig-l] Scheduling of SIG workshops for 07

domole at worldbank.org domole at worldbank.org
Tue Nov 14 17:34:36 EST 2006

Incase you are planning a workshop and a pre-con for next year.

----- Forwarded by Duncan Wambogo Omole/Person/World Bank on 11/14/2006 05:33 PM
-----

             "Richard Hill"
             <rhill at asis.org
             Sent by:                <sig-l at asis.org>, <board at asis.org>
             sig-l-bounces at a                                                 cc
             sis.org
                                                                        Subject
                                     [Sig-l] Scheduling of SIG workshops for 07
             10/25/2006
             03:29 PM

At the '05 Annual meeting there were two pre cons sponsored by SIGs (CR and
USE).  This year (AM 06) there are seven:

* Shaping Things to Come - Daser Summit III and Tri Society Symposium ($85)
* SIG CR 16th Annual Classification Research Workshop: Social
Classification: Panacea or Pandora?  ($105)
* Symposia: Interrogating the Social Realities of Information and
Communications Systems (SIG SI) ($40)
* Doing Ethnography: Examining ICT Use in Context (SIG SI) ($40)
* Information Realities: Exploring Affective and Emotional Aspects in
Information Seeking and Use:
SIG USE 6th Annual Research Symposium ($80)
* Workshop on Blogs and Wikis:  How They Can Improve Conference
Communications (SIGs BWP & DL) ($40)
* SIG HCI Research Symposium: Human Computer Interaction in Information
Intensive Environments ($45)

Our desire is not to limit SIG sponsored workshops.  But this is becoming
increasingly challenging, as these sessions complete with our normal
pre-conference offerings: compete in terms of bodies, time, and space (all
of our prices from the hotel are contingent on how much space we require).
And the SIG sessions are frequently configured to compete on a price basis,
with SIG "workshops" being priced and configured only to break even or to
return any surplus to the SIG's projects.  The "normal" pre cons are priced
to provide a return over costs to the society.  In FY '05, the return was
$13,871.

Hence, for AM 07, it is our intention to have pre cons that are priced to
provide a return to ASIS&T scheduled on the Friday and Saturday preceding
the meeting and to move the SIG Workshops to the Thursday and Friday
following the meeting.

_____
Richard B. Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
Fax: (301) 495-0810
Voice: (301) 495-0900