[Sigiii-l] Fw: International Calendar of Information Science Conferences

Yin Zhang yinzhang at slis.kent.edu
Fri Jul 22 09:19:52 EDT 2005

 Dear Colleagues,

 As some of you know, our chapter/SIG has agreed to co-sponsor the new
 International Calendar of Information Science Conferences.  The Calendar
 is a collaborative venture of the International Information Issues SIG and
 the European and New England chapters of ASIS&T.  It is a centralized
 master calendar listing information science related conferences around the
 globe.  We plan to send e-mails announcing the launch of the site to over
 40 listservs in the coming week (see text of announcement below, and visit
 the site: http://icisc.neasist.org/).

 We wanted to be sure you knew of this latest development before the news
 hit the lists. If you have any suggestions for the Calendar, the site, or
 listservs we may not have thought of, please contact Caryn Anderson and
 Michel Menou via the ICISC Calendar e-mail address: icisc at neasist.org.

 Also, Michel and Caryn have been working very hard to develop the calendar
 and Web site.  They would appreciate any help that we can offer.  If you
 would be willing to help add events, respond to e-mails, translate
 listings into other languages or develop mirror sites it would be greatly
 appreciated.  If you are able to volunteer, please contact Caryn Anderson
 directly at caryn.anderson at simmons.edu.

 This calendar is a useful and exciting new development that will help
 bring more cooperation and productivity to our field and provide greater
 visibility for ASIS&T and our chapters.  We appreciate your support in
 publicizing it broadly throughout your networks.

 Sincerely,

 Yin Zhang (Chair, SIG/III)
 Tatjana Aparac-Jelusic (Chair, ASIST/EC)
 Margret Branschofky (Chair, NEASIST)

 ***************************
 E-MAIL ANNOUNCEMENT TO INFO SCI AND RELATED LISTSERVS

 ** Please excuse duplicate postings **

 The Special Interest Group on International Information Issues (SIG/III),
 the European (ASIST/EC) and the New England (NEASIST) chapters of ASIS&T
 (American Society for Information Science & Technology) are pleased to
 announce:

 The International Calendar of Information Science Conferences (ICISC)
 http://icisc.neasist.org/

 This centralized, master calendar of relevant conferences being held
 around the world serves three primary purposes:

 - to help information science researchers and practitioners (and their
 colleagues in related disciplines) to discover which conferences are
 planned that might fulfill their need to communicate their knowledge and
 experience and learn from others; and,

 - to help conference organizers avoid time or topic conflicts, or
 coordinate with other groups, leading to more interaction and coherence
 among professional groups; and,

 - to contribute to facilitating interaction among like-minded
 professionals working on information
 problems around the globe.

 This calendar is meant as a cooperative venture. Any organization or
 conference organizer is cordially invited to submit relevant conferences,
 either confirmed or planned, to the ICISC Calendar. Detailed instructions
 for registering a conference directly, through a submission form, or by
 Email can be found on the Web site. The site is moderated and the
 sponsoring organizations reserve the right to discard entries that would
 not be deemed appropriate.

 The calendar is in English at the moment. We hope that more languages
 and/or mirror sites could be added in the future. Announcements can be
 passed in any language that can be presented in Latin characters, provided
 an English translation of at least the conference title, place and dates
 is also included.

 In addition to the dynamic and searchable calendar available for viewing
 in both block and list style, there is a "Quick Calendar" listing all the
 events on a static HTML web page useful for printing, or for those with
 slower internet connections. ICISC further offers the option to subscribe
 to an RSS feed to keep up to date on the latest additions.

 The web site further includes lists of electronic fora, organizations,
 networks and rotating conferences in Information science. Suggestions of
 relevant entries will be most welcome.

 We hope that you will find this calendar useful from an organizational
 and/or individual stand point. We encourage you to contribute to the
 calendar and offer your suggestions.  Be sure to subscribe to the RSS/XML
 feed to stay up to date on new additions to the calendar.

 Your colleagues from,
 SIG/III (http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGIII/)
 ASIST/EC (http://www.asis.org/Chapters/europe/About.htm)
 NEASIST (http://www.neasist.org/)