[Sigiii-l] Global Plaza seeks new leaders/voices

Nadia Caidi nadia.caidi at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 13 13:18:14 EST 2005

Dear All,

The third edition of the Global Village Plaza (at the 2004 annual
meeting of ASIST) raised a number of very important issues for the
information science community as well as for the roles and
responsibilities of ASIST. Michel and I have summarized the discussions
that took place at the event along with pictures (and notes from
previous editions of the Plaza) on the SIG-III website:
http://www.asis.org/SIG/SIGIII/ (Go to the "Global Plaza" on the left
side bar).

SIG III officers believe, as we do, that the Global Information Village
Plaza should continue as a key function at ASIST annual meetings. The
participants at this year's Global Plaza seemed to agree that the
Global Plaza offers a unique opportunity for participants to share
personal views and experiences in an unconstrained and interactive
fashion. They highlighted the importance of diversity of perspectives
from all around the world. Sessions like the Plaza serve in particular
to remind us that we are too often blinded by our assumptions/biases
about culture, technologies, information resources and use patterns.

The Global Plaza’s potential to act as a springboard for future research
ideas and initiatives was also raised. Examples included using some of
the themes raised at the session for student research projects; raising
awareness of the issues through the creation of forums, weblogs, success
stories, etc.

Michel and I have been fortunate to coordinate the event for the past
three years. We feel it is time to pass on the torch to others, who may
have fresh perspectives and ideas on how to make the Global Plaza a
useful and engaging session. We remain available for advice and
mentorship as needed, but we invite others to take over the Plaza and
use it as a means to get everyone (from North, South, East and West)
engaged and committed.

Panel submissions for the next ASIST Annual Meeting is approaching fast
(January end), so please let us know as soon as possible if you are
interested in taking the Global Plaza to a new level. We will be happy
to help you put together a proposal for a session at the next ASIST. We
encourage anyone interested from all parts of the world to get involved
and volunteer ideas, time, energy and above all their passion.

All the best,
Nadia Caidi and Michel Menou.