[Sigiii-l] More Plaza

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 08:59:19 EDT 2003

What in your opinion will be radically changed in your professional life
and in your personal life as a result of the globalization of the
information society?

Distance education represents various ideals to different people. It is
a prime example of the information society globalization, as it is most
relevant to me. I’ve often thought of myself as a life-long distance
education student. My education experience has included many forms of
“distance education”, whether it was via snail mail, the Internet or a
lengthy commute to an educational facility. As a working professional,
it enabled me to balance both work and educational achievements. It is
foreseeable that I will continue to learn and improve upon my personal
and professional skills in this manner. Without the benefits of distance
education there would not have been the opportunities to develop and
exchange concepts and information. Distance education, in whichever
shape or form, allows students and instructors to interact with and
learn from one another, and to share their views.

Globalization of the information society has opened doors to the wealth
of information once inaccessible because of distance. Research has been
enhanced and complimented by the ability to access resources digitalized
by locations in order to share knowledge. The wonders of interactive
learning have opened the once secular world to immeasurable
possibilities. As a professional in a library environment and continuing
student, there is the constant awareness – even pressure – to be on top
of the skills required to perform daily tasks. The opportunities
available via the global network of resources are far-reaching and the
ability to access this network is demanding.

Therefore, the information science community needs to be continually
aware and understanding of the intricacies and challenges that are
facing both staff and public alike. To help itself cope with this
ever-evolving change, there will be the need to provide up-to-date
services, which are consistent and future in outlook.