[Sigiii-l] Plaza

Nadia Caidi caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 2 08:57:40 EDT 2003

As each day passes the information society in which we supposedly live
is becoming more global in nature. My main concern is the effect that
this shift is having, and will continue to have, on multiculturalism and
multilingualism. On the one hand, the information society and
globalization offer us the unique opportunity to familiarize ourselves
with cultures that we normally might not have any contact with.
This is being achieved through information sharing on the internet and
the use of other similar technological tools. Conversely, we could end
up in a situation where North American values (i.e. predominantly white
Anglo-Saxon values) and language dominate over cultures with less
economic power and influence. Already, the speech and writing of most
continental Europeans is peppered throughout with English words. I feel
that language is an integral part of any culture because it contains
words and expressions that are distinctive and serve as a mirror for
that particular culture. For example, my parents are from the Friuli
region in north-eastern Italy. Because of the distinct language
(Friulian) and the rich cultural mix (Friulian, Slovenian and Austrian),
the region has been granted political autonomy by the Italian
government. I worry, however, that with the continued growth of the
information society and globalization, the preservation of these rich
local cultures and languages (and dialects) will disappear.
Governments will focus on global technological issues instead.
Consequently, I think that professional societies for those in the field
of library and information science should be actively working to
preserve and celebrate the diverse cultures and languages of the world
rather that either ignoring the issue or preferring a kind of
assimilation. Librarians and other information professionals can also
find creative ways to promote and preserve the local culture of the
community in which they work. As well, an effort should be made to
familiarize themselves with what is happening throughout the whole world
and not just in the West. Cultural sensitivity and openness will be more
important than ever.