[Sigiii-l] Fw: from AIR-L New IT & Civil Society Reports

Gianluca Miscione gianluca.miscione at soc.unitn.it
Mon Nov 17 08:06:09 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Walker, Steve [IES]" <S.Walker at LMU.AC.UK>
To: <SOCIAL-MOVEMENT-INFORMATICS at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 12:01 PM
Subject: FW: from AIR-L New IT & Civil Society Reports

> Having just skimmed them, the following look very interesting,
>

> Steve

> Message: 4
>
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:41:15 -0500
>
> From: "Sabino" <Sabino at ssrc.org>
>
> To: "Sabino" <Sabino at ssrc.org>
>
> Subject: [Air-l] New IT & Civil Society Reports from the Social Science
Research Council

> Dear Colleagues:
>

> The transnational digital linkages among civil society organizations =
have produced an entirely new realm of politics beyond the state. = However,
there are significant constraints on the further development of = civil
society networking.  =20

> In order to provide the knowledge necessary to move forward to overcome =
those constraints and expand the global networking of civil society, the =
Social Science Research Council has produced two reports on information =
technology and civil society that we think might interest you and are = now
available. They are: =20

> - "Appropriating the Internet for Social Change: Strategic Uses of =
Networked Technologies by Transnational Civil Society Organizations "=20

> - "Global Governance of Information Communication Technology: =
Implications for Transnational Civil Society Networking." =20

www.ssrc.org/programs/itic  If you would prefer to receive a hard copy =
please send a request to Ms. Marcela Sabino at sabino at ssrc.org.

> In addition, we have recently published Bombs and Bandwidth which =
examines the use of ICT by governments, businesses, terrorist and = criminal
organizations, and social movements. The book has been featured = in an
article on MSNBC Newsweek: = http://www.msnbc.com/news/986097.asp?0cv=3DKB20
<http://www.msnbc.com/news/986097.asp?0cv=3DKB20>  Background on the book =
is available on our web site <www.ssrc.org/programs/itic> .=20

> **Note:  This is an announcement by the Information Technology and =
International Cooperation program at SSRC.  You are not subscribed to a =
mailing list.  If you prefer not to receive announcements from us in the =
future, please let us know.  We hope that you will be interested and =
engaged with our efforts.**=20