[Sigiii-l] Fw: Traditional Knowledge and Intellectual Property Handbook

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 24 10:04:23 EDT 2003

Gianluca is right, IPRs have a special area of application in relation
to ingigenous knowledge.
And the latter offer some food for thought. Very often indigenous
knowledge shows the characteristics of "commons and control": that is
the knowledge is available for the good of the group and its access
and use is controlled through various mechanisms to prevent misuses.
IPRs in "modern" societies, though aiming at similar broad purposes in
theory,  are often working in practice in the opposite direction and
eventually become themselves an overall misuse.

Michel