[Sigiii-l] Plaza: Fwd: Open everything

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 20 03:10:06 EDT 2003

Yet another "think piece" on the same topic

Regards,

Michel J. Menou

This is a forwarded message
From: S Woodside <sbwoodside at yahoo.com>
To: communityinformatics at vancouvercommunity.net <communityinformatics at vancouvercommunity.net>
Date: Thursday, July 17, 2003, 6:25:32 PM
Subject: [CI] Free as in Access (WiFi) and a comment on Open Source So ftware

Hello all,

Please have a look at my recently updated paper on the topic of "Open
Everything":

     http://simonwoodside.com/projects/ict/opensourceict.html

abstract:
Open Everything is a catch-all for: open source, open spectrum, open
standards, and open hardware. Open works like GNU/Linux, Wi-Fi,
ethernet, and the PC hardware platform are highly successful. Good ICT
development can be improved by adopting the models that make the open
movements tick.

intro:
Open Everything is the extension of the model that works so
successfully for Open Source Software. We examine open models that are
present throughout the technology cycle, from hardware, software, to
standards and even written documents. Why is openness in technology so
pervasive? Because it's highly effective for those who practise it.
This article covers as much of the field as possible, concluding with a
checklist of steps that may help your project help itself, and others,
by applying the principles of open, collaborative, and distributed
development.

simon