[Sigiii-l] Article on digital divide in Sci American

Sue O. Johnson sueojohnson at msn.com
Fri Aug 1 11:03:08 EDT 2003

Dear SIG III Members,
     In the August issue of Scientific American, pp 42-47, we have an update on a project from our International Paper Competition of 2001. The paper, in the Bulletin, April/May 2001, The Gyandoot Digital Library Internet, a project reported by Aashish Sharma, from India (second place winner in the Contest) and his professor William Yurcik, is discussed in the Scientific American as  a major example of a successful model to close the digital divide in India.  The article says, "farmers access the Gyandoot intranet at a community computer facility in central India's Dhar district, where 60 percent of the 1.7 million residents live below the poverty line.  The intranet provides crop prices, official application forms, and a place to hold village auctions and to air public grievances."

      Aashish predicted when giving the paper in 2001 that this project, just in its initial stages then, would grow and become effective. It has, and congrats for their continued success.

Sue O'Neill Johnson, Sig III (current) Chair