[Sigiii-l] VISA ISSUES

Ian Johnson (imsij) i.m.johnson at rgu.ac.uk
Mon Oct 21 13:14:22 EDT 2002

I think it may be worthwhile - although regrettable - to note on the list, mainly for Conference organisers in Europe, that a small group of 4 or 5 individuals from India appear to be making regular applications to participate in LIS conferences in Europe.  Their motivation is not clear but it is, of course, possible to use a conference organiser's invitation as evidence to support an application for an entry visa.

The same group attempted to obtain press passes to secure free participation in the IFLA conference in Glasgow and then the IFLA-CPERT pre-Conference here in Aberdeen, and more recently even paid the small fee for the EUCLID Conference in Greece but failed to attend.  Subsequent evidence suggests, however, that they are still in India.

If anyone becomes concerned by an unexpected group of applications from India, I would be happy to confirm the names.

Ian M. Johnson
Assistant Dean,
Aberdeen Business School,
The Robert Gordon University,