What can users do? [was Re: [Sigiii-l] plaza please post]

Charles Lam clam at kamching.com
Mon Oct 14 12:27:02 EDT 2002

Dear Peter,

I agree with your observation and solutions in general.

Whatever marketing jargon one would like to use explain their tactics, most
ICT suppliers are not addressing the real needs of end users. Some argue
that consumers of fashion, entertainment, etc. do not know their real needs
either; as long as the marketers can generate a current for the (stupid?)
consumers to follow, they can be called innovative and successful!

Another thing I have found out is that people who work in the ICT industry
are supposed to help humans communicate better; but often we can find just
the opposite. Technical incompatibility is just one example. Who produce the
the most important technical standards? Not influenced by representatives of
end users/neutral organisations, as far as I know.

In my another email response, I have also voiced my concern that it is very
difficult today for the end users (i.e. community) to be at the driver's
seat.

I welcome all suggestions that 'in practice' can make the ICT industry more
demand-pull.

Best regards,

Charles Lam