[Sigiii-l] Plaza (x3)

Nadia Caidi Caidi at fis.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 10 16:11:08 EDT 2002

A few more position statements courtesy of three students:

POSITION STATEMENT #1:

I find globalization’s move toward the privatization of
information access worrisome.  “An institution that allows the
individual to access information at no cost [is] viewed as a
threat to
profits
The library’s role in keeping information
in the public sphere is
marginalized” (Koltusky, 2001,
http://slis.ualberta.ca/cap01/laura/ithome.htm.)
Globalization ensures that masses of information are
available internationally.  Screening this mass for quality,
appropriateness, and applicability to user needs is daunting;
librarianship’s field is forever expanding and changing.  What
makes the field stimulating also makes for huge challenge.
Thorough standards for information sources and better
funding for resources are thus important.  We must battle
marginalization, and publicize the importance of non-profit
access.
  Information is a knowledge-enabler, but globalization
is making it a purchasable good.  This playground of the rich
makes for an unacceptable “computer-generated caste system”
(Koltusky, 2001,
http://www.slis.ualberta.ca/cap01/laura/ithome.htm).  To hold
this in check, librarianship’s value-free stance must go.
Technology is not a neutral medium. Libraries must work hard
to protect free access to high-quality information.
Through e-mail and Internet access, physical distances
are closing, but these communication infrastructures translate
into more mediums through which we can be bombarded as
consumers.  Internet advertising is a good example of this.  If
reliable funding were available, such pervasive tactics could
be used less.
Widespread information access does not only affect the
professional arena.  The ideology and technology of
globalization also means that our personal information, such
as banking transactions, purchasing records, even our
addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail messages, can be
obtained by those who have the power and intent to abuse the
technological medium.  For the sake of personal freedom,
privacy must be addressed.
There are many risks involved with globalization, and
it is only economic advantage that allows me to experience the
advantages of a diverse array of information that I benefit
from as an informed citizen.