[Sigiii-l] You did it

Michel J. Menou Michel.Menou at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 21 20:13:05 EST 2002

Dear friends and colleagues
For the 1st time ever a SIG won the SIG of the year award 3 times in a row.
SIG/III!
When we started, 20 years ago, the then executive director, and good friend,
teased me one night telling me "confidentially" that the board was going to pass
a motion forbidding this to happen. At that time we had made 2 awards in a row,
but did not make the 3rd one the following year.
The point is not so much that we established this record, but that this was done
at this very time in the American Society for Information Science and Technology.
The 2002 Annual Meeting in Philadelphia was among the most international in
attendance ever - parallel international events excepted.
I bet many of us are disgusted to the point of despair when they hear the news
every other morning.
That ASIS&T members over these 20 years have progressively managed to establish
this unique blend of local and global perspectives is remarkable. To be honnest
the american and international friends who embarked into this adventure were
sceptical about its chances of success.
This is the accomplishment of ASIS&T and its members, even though some, many
indeed, might have contributed more.
So thank you all, this is ASIS&T accomplishment. This award is ours.
And please let's keep moving forward, there is still plenty of work ahead.
Michel

PS Yes, sure, this is also a result of the very hard work of the officers and
members of SIG/III over the last 3 years.