[Sigiii-l] Plaza

B. Shadrach B.H.Shadrach at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jul 31 07:53:58 EDT 2002

Dear Michel
Thank you for seeking our input to the survey on information society.  Here is
my response:

1. What is your opinion will be radically changed in your professional life as
a result of the globalisation of the information society

The way in which we operate as information providers and knowledge workers.

why?

We have a number of complex issues to tackle with now.  Not long ago, it was
just a few online/offline databases that were at our disposal.  Now, we have to
tackle the information overload problem on behalf of the community we serve.
In addition to us providing information to target groups, a number of proactive
services have started offering services.  Most of htese services come at a
premium as these are led by corporations.  We need to be on our guard, at the
same time grab opportunities to demonstrate our worth!

What should you do in order to cope up with change?

Network with fellow information professionals to get the act going.  Otherwise,
we will all be working for the benefit of private interests

What should the information science & technology community do to help you cope
with the change?

Should initiate many networking events online and offline; should offer advvise
as and when required; and should involve people from various countries in
developing research and development strategies; should help education planners
design courses incorporating the changes witnesses during the pastten years.

What should the information science & technology community do to help itself
cope with the change?

Should evaluate themselves and identify their niche.  Everyone seem to have a
role to play in the information society scene other than the information
science community itself!

2. What in your opinion will be radically changed in your personal life as a
result of globalisation of the information society?

I will perhaps start thinking global and try my best to compete in the rat race

Why?

As am ambitious to burn fingers and learn; and in the process contribute to
programmes that allows for challenges

What should you do in order to cope with the change?

Keep talking and listening and pick up jargons.  But, at the same time, spend
quality time thinking and engaging in action-programmes that bring forth new
perspectives

What should the information science & technology community do to help you cope
with the change?

Should lobby for more!  Should regain its position as the profession that
protects the heart of learning.  Should encourage people in the South as well
as young thinkers to interact with the rest and the so-called big and strong

B. Shadrach
Department of Information Science
Loughborough University
Loughborough LE11 3TU