[Sigifp-l] Workshop for 2017 ASIST Annual Meeting

Oltmann, Shannon M shannon.oltmann at uky.edu
Thu Mar 16 11:19:35 EDT 2017

Hello everyone. Last year, for ASIST 2016, we discussed a panel on teaching information ethics and policy and drafted a proposal. Ultimately, we had to withdraw it due to low face to face participation. The panel was titled: "Advancing Information Ethics and Policy Education: Designing Curriculum for Diverse Contexts, sponsored by SIG-IEP and SIG-ED" and the summary is pasted below.

I'm writing to see if there is interest in reviving this workshop for ASIST 2017, which will meet in Washington, DC. If so, we will need to update and revise the panel to fit this year's theme. Details about ASIST 2017 can be found here: https://www.asist.org/events/annual-meeting/annual-meeting-2017/asist-2017-call-for-papers/. If you would be interested in helping organize the workshop, and plan to attend the meeting, please let me know. If you would be interested in participating in some way (but not organizing), and plan to attend the meeting, please let me know. I am also seeking ideas on how to update/revise the workshop, so please share any thoughts in that regard.

Another option is that we could design a completely different workshop with a new focus. If you think this is a better approach for ASIST 2017, please share your thoughts on this as well.

I'm hoping to have a robust discussion via listserv, which we can eventually transfer to a virtual meeting. Thanks, everyone, for contributing your thoughts about this.

-Shannon Oltmann

Description of 2016 panel:
Organizers: Alan Rubel (University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA), Shannon Oltmann (University of Kentucky, USA), A.J. Million (University of Missouri, USA), Lisa Nathan (University of British Columbia, Canada), Bryce Newell (Tilburg University, Netherlands), Emad Kharzraee (Kent State University, USA), Emily Knox (University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, USA), Colin Rhinesmith (University of Oklahoma, USA), Kristene Unsworth (Drexel University, USA)

Please join us for a full-day, collaborative workshop focusing on teaching information ethics and policy on October 14, 2016.
The SIG IEP, with the support of SIG ED, is sponsoring a workshop on teaching information ethics and policy at the ASIS&T annual meeting in Copenhagen. The workshop will be highly collaborative, with most of the day devoted to working groups focused on building curriculum ideas, pedagogical approaches, project ideas, and teaching tools. Each working group will be preceded by one or two very short presentations on the topic in order to spark discussion and collaboration. The goal of the workshop is to learn from other scholars and teachers of IEP about different approaches, topics, and teaching methods.

We are seeking participation from the broadest range of scholars and practitioners whose work includes, or relates to, information ethics and policy (broadly construed). Participation requires only registration and willingness to actively engage over the course of the workshop. We encourage, but do not require, participants to bring syllabi, reading lists, and other artifacts to share during the workshop. In addition, if you have a particularly novel, successful, or interesting approach, unit, assignment, or method for teaching information ethics and policy and would like to do a very short (less than 10 minutes) presentation, please send an abstract (approx.. 500 words) describing the presentation to Alan Rubel at arubel at wisc.edu<mailto:arubel at wisc.edu> (subject line: ASIS&T workshop) by August 30. We will notify accepted presentations by September 1, in time for conference early registration (which ends September 2, 2016).

Dr. Shannon M. Oltmann
Assistant Professor
School of Information Science
College of Communication & Information