[Sigifp-l] SIG IFP Announcements and Annual Meeting Details

Brandi Loveday blloveday at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 18:51:13 EDT 2013

*SIG ELECTION: 2013-2014*
It is that time of year again when the SIGs nominate and elect their
leaders for the next year.

We have the following positions to fill for this year:
*Chair Elect:
Co-Chair:
Communications Officer:*(includes any attempts at newsletters as well as
social media and updates to the SIG web presence)
*Treasurer*:

Last year saw only one elected officer, and I would love to get more of you
involved in the revitalization of the group. We can't make it to SIG of the
Year without participation, innovation, and outreach to our academic and
professional communities that we as members represent. Activity on the part
of the members is a necessity to recruit new members and create an
imperative within ASIS&T to give more weight to Information Policy as it
truly touches every single aspect of an information professional's life.

To nominate an individual, including yourself, please send your full name,
school or professional affiliation, position for which the nomination is
being made, and a paragraph's worth of any other pertinent information you
feel is necessary for an informed vote.

Due Date for Nominations is 12 PM EST, Saturday, August 31st to
BLLOVEDAY at gmail.com with the subject SIG IFP Nomination.

*2013 Annual Meeting in Montreal*

*SIG Sponsored Panel*
I am happy to announce that SIG IFP is co-sponsor, with SIG III, of the
panel on Tuesday, November 5th, at 3:30 PM- "In the Name of Terror:
Information Policy in the Decade Post 9/11." You can access the abstract
here: https://www.asis.org/asist2013/abstracts/panels/40.html

The Program to the Annual Meeting is accessible here:
https://www.asis.org/asist2013/program.html.

Be sure to register for this great event! The Annual Meeting showcases the
latest research and brings together a multitude of scholars and
professionals in an effort to network and spread the word of the
organization's work in the Information Science and Technology fields.
*
*
*SIG Business Meeting*
The SIG IFP meeting will be held from 12:00 PM-1:00 PM on Tuesday, November
5th. If possible, please make plans to attend this meeting. Gathering ideas
and information from active members is essential to our success as a SIG
and in garnering new members. There will be light refreshments as well.

Ideas for raising money for the SIG are welcome. More funds in our treasury
will help us participate more actively in setting up webinars, lectures,
and participation in events with Student and Regional Chapters. Ideas for
participation in academic and professional events are also welcome.

We look forward to seeing you all at the Annual Conference!

*Awards*
The ASIS&T New Leader Recipients have been declared and we are happy to
announce that Brandi Loveday, the current Chair of SIG IFP is one such
recipient!

All members should consider becoming more active in leadership in the SIGs
and organization in general. To read about the requirements of the New
Leader award, please visit
http://www.asis.org/awards/asistnewleadersaward.html
*
*
*Volunteer Opportunities with ASIS&T*
To explore volunteer opportunities with ASIS&T please visit
http://www.asis.org/volunteer.html.

Contact ASIS&T for student volunteer opportunities regarding the Annual
Meeting as well!

*ASIS&T Bulletin*
I would like to announce that the December 2012/January 2013 of the *
Bulletin* will have a Special Topic Section for Information Policy. We are
very excited about this edition as it helps show that SIG IFP is becoming
more active and influential within the organization.

We will have articles on Privacy since 9/11, Mobile Data Privacy,
Intellectual Freedom/Freedom of Speech, and more!

*Social Media Activities and Web Presence*
SIG IFP now has a logo and, and among other things, we will be working on a
web/social media presence very shortly. ASIS&T will be hosting the website
and we will be looking for Information Policy content to share with
colleagues, students, and professionals.

[image: Inline image 1]

*Brandi Loveday*

*Chair, SIG IFP*

blloveday at gmail.com