[Sigifp-l] Fwd. : DIAC 2008

M.J. Menou michel.menou at orange.fr
Tue Feb 12 07:47:09 EST 2008

Apologies for cross posting

> Twenty-one years since the first DIAC Symposium!
>
>                Tools for Participation:
>                Collaboration, Deliberation, and Decision Support
>
> Directions and Implications of Advanced Computing Symposium
> Conference on Online Deliberation
> (DIAC-2008/OD2008)
>
> Sponsored by Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility
> and UC Berkeley School of Information
>
> Partners: National Coalition for Dialogue & Deliberation (NCDD)
>
> University of California, Berkeley
> June 26 - 29, 2008
> http://www.publicsphereproject.org/events/diac08/
>

> At the dawn of the 21st century humankind faces challenges of
> profound proportions. The ability of people around the world to
> discuss, work, make decisions, and take action collaboratively is one
> of the most important capabilities for addressing these challenges.
>
> Researchers, scholars, activists, advocates, artists, educators,
> technologists, designers, students, policy-makers, entrepreneurs,
> journalists and citizens are rising to these challenges in many ways,
> including, devising new communication technologies that build on the
> opportunities afforded by the Internet and other new (as well as old)
> media. The interactions between technological and social systems are
> of special and central importance in this area.
>
> DIAC-08 combines CPSR's 11th DIAC symposium with the third Conference
> on Online Deliberation. The joint conference is intended to provide a
> platform and a forum for highlighting socio-technological
> opportunities, challenges, and pitfalls in the area of community and
> civic action. Technology enhanced community action ranges from
> informal communities of practice to democratic governance of formal
> organizations to large social movements.
>
> We are especially interested in technology development that is
> already being tested or fielded. We are also interested in
> theoretical and other intellectual work that helps build
> understanding and support for future efforts. In addition to
> exploring social technology, we must at the same time understand and
> advance the social context of technology, including its design,
> access, use, policy and evaluation, as well as intellectual
> frameworks and perspectives that inform technological as well as
> social innovation including requirements, case studies, critique and
> self-reflection, and infrastructures for future work.
>
> Our areas of focus include but are not limited to: deliberative and
> collaborative systems, e-democracy and e-participation, mobilization
> and organization, negotiation, consultation, sustainability,
> community support systems, open source models, human rights,
> ecological awareness, conflict resolution, justice, transparency
> systems, media and civic journalism, media literacy, power research,
> citizen science, economic development and opportunity, peace and
> reconciliation, infrastructure development, policy, education,
> community networks, research and development for civil society,
> [...]

Dr. Michel J. Menou
Visiting Professor, SLAIS, University College London, U.K.
Consultant in ICT policies and Knowledge & Information Management
Adviser of Somos at Telecentros board http://www.tele-centros.org
Member of the founding steering committee of
Telecenters of the Americas Partnership http://www.tele-centers.net/
B.P. 15
F-49350 Les Rosiers sur Loire, France
Email: micheljmenou[at]gmail[dot]com