[Sigia-l] Agile, Scrum and UX?

magia3e@gmail.com magia3e at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 18:42:58 EDT 2015

Getting *all* the work needed to deliver a user story, from analysis and design thru to development and testing requires 'small' sized user stories so that the work fits into a single Sprint.

The slicing method depends on a discussion between the Product Owner and the Team with the resultant slices just being smaller user stories. The order is negotiated between the Team and the PO. In a normal software project each user story will be a small feature-like element.

Some of those slices will likely require more UX effort, some less, some none at all. But each slice will represent something that is of value to the Product Owner. A wireframe or prototype as the end result of a user story ia only likely to be 'of value' if it helps clarify some high risk unknown that will be looked at in a later Sprint. Architecture is some times tackled this way. Its often referred to as a Spike.

The Team collectively decide how they will tackle their Sprint Goal and the Increment together. They also decide how much work they take on. But the Product Owner still has the final say in terms of whether their approach represents value. If everyone is going to sit around and do nothing until the UX work is complete that's obviously not of value

The Scrum Master's role in this is to help the team work out a plan of attack and ensure that the team doesn't "waterfall their sprints" http://www.scaledagileframework.com/sprint-execution/

When UX work starts at the beginning of a Sprint -- prototyping, interaction design, wireframes etc - is going on, I often find other team members are doing things like:

* Writing test scripts
* Engaging business stakeholders, clients, end users face-to-face to clarify functional requirements
* Doing cross a functional pairing with the UX guy to understand the interaction design and give feedback on areas where the technology is limited
* Analyzing requirements for that user story
* Doing technical design for that user story
* Researching what the coding community says about the features in the user story
* Doing the back end components of that user story

Or

* Delivering other user stories that have no real UX components

The Scrum Master makes.sure there is a plan of attack each day at the Daily Scrum and ensures everyone is collaborating toward the team's goal. No one is idle.