[Sigia-l] Agile, Scrum and UX?

Jonathan Baker-Bates jonathan at bakerbates.com
Sat Mar 21 18:05:29 EDT 2015

@Skot - I wouldn't go as far to say it was antithetical. The Agile
Principles say the delivery of working software should be "frequent"
and that it should be the "primary measure of progress". But I know
what you mean. Agile should be free to do what's appropriate, really.

@Thomas: As you can probably tell, there are some difficulties with
scrum orthodoxy when it comes to UX :-) I think this is because agile
methods (not just scrum but most others as well) attempt to solve
problems that UX designers don't really have - or at last don't have
to nearly the same extent as developers have. UX isn't reducible in
the way software is, and certainly the "founding fathers" of scrum
weren't thinking about UX when they formulated their manifesto - the
term "customer" is the 1980's meaning: somebody who pays for the
software to be built. Here's the famous "principles" page:
http://agilemanifesto.org/principles.html (the background photo
texture - QED).

I think there's a world of difference between writing code that runs
on computers, and creating things that run in people's heads. Because
of this, I think it's unfair on both designers and developers to adopt
the same methods. Were I to join a development team who had adopted
scrum, I would not discourage them, but equally I would not work
exclusively on their terms. It wouldn't be worth us all paying the the
price for that later if I did.

Jonathan