[Sigia-l] Call for Proposals - IA Institute Research Grant 2012/2013

Noreen Whysel noreenwhysel at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 12:02:35 EST 2012

The Information Architecture Institute (IAI) is calling for research proposal submissions for a USD $3000 grant, by the 15th of April 2012.
Topic & content
Applications should propose work that will forward the theory and practice of information architecture. This can include original research, a synthesis of existing research, the development of a new technique, method or tool, or something that could otherwise support the IA community of practice.

A successful grant project could:

help solve a particular problem or challenge for IA practice or theory
illuminate or explain an otherwise unclear or overlooked issue
improve an existing approach, with verified results
create helpful connections and syntheses between IA and one or more other disciplines

The IAI is looking for Journal-ready research papers as an output. Our aim is to use the grant to directly contribute to the body of scholarly knowledge we are creating for our community of practice and the development of the discipline.
Proposal format
The proposal should provide:

Description of the problem or hypothesis
Methodology to be used
Explanation of how the resulting work will benefit the theory or practice of IA
Conditions under which others can use the results (e.g. Creative Commons license)

The application package should include:

a) a cover letter, stating:

the primary (and associated) author's name(s), address, email, and affiliation; and that the attached proposal is being submitted for the IAI Award;

b) the proposal itself:
no author identification (applications will be forwarded to jury without author identity) should be 2000 words or fewer

c) a preliminary budget showing how the project funds would be spent.
Next steps?
Grant applications should be emailed by April 15, 2012 to grants2012 at iainstitute.org.

For more information about the selection criteria and process, distribution and publication, eligibility and the award jury please visit http://iainstitute.org/en/members/grants/research_grant_details.php

Questions can be directed to the jury chair, Jason Hobbs (jason at jh-01.com)
Schedule

15th of April 2012: Submission deadline
15th of May 2012: Grant recipient to be announced
15th of May 2012: First half of grant awarded
14th of September 2012: First board progress review
15th of January 2013: Second board progress review
15th of February 2013: Submission of final research paper and last half of grant award

Additional information

The Information Architecture Institute Grant Jury is the sole jury for this award. Grant jury members are not eligible to apply for the award themselves.
In the case of no acceptable applicants or ineligible applicants, the awards may not be granted.
No more than one application may be submitted per person (including multi-authored submissions).
The Information Architecture Institute reserves non-exclusive rights over the awarded research paper and may use the paper in any capacity in the future
The Journal of Information Architecture will be provided with the first right to publish completed papers

About the IAI
The Information Architecture Institute is a 501(c)6 professional organization, operated by a multi-national group of people who are dedicated to promoting the concept, craft and community of information architecture.

We live in exciting times. As the information age rolls forward, our businesses, markets and societies are being transformed into adaptive, connected networks. The Internet of today only hints at the ubiquitous communication infrastructure of tomorrow. The construction of this brave new world requires a new kind of architecture, focused on digital structures of information and software rather than physical structures of bricks and mortar. As we spend more time working and playing in these shared information spaces, people will need and demand better search, navigation and collaboration systems.

Volunteering our own resources, we aspire to collaborate within our community and build bridges to related disciplines and organizations. We invite you to join us in advancing the state of information architecture through research, education, advocacy and community service.