[Sigia-l] Group Workshop Techniques for Identifying Business Goals

Paola Kathuria paola at limov.com
Wed Jul 11 18:42:34 EDT 2012

Tom Donehower wrote:
> Checking to see if anyone has any recommendations for workshop
> games/techniques for identifying business goals for a website. Will be
> working with about 10 stakeholders. Goal of the meeting is to identify
> business goals, KPIs and measures of success. I have had success using
> Post-Its and free-form listing, then having the group chunk,
> categorize and prioritze goals.

Hmm, won't a business's goals usually always be brand awareness, sales or
some other user engagement?

I have run user-centered requirements workshops.  I have gather six
people - three representative users and three client stakeholders.

I cover the walls with flip-chart paper. For the first half, we design
a web site for each user type as if we had all the time and money in the
world. For each user type. I label a sheet. We then talk to the user reps
about their relationship with the company, including things they can't
do but wish they could, I add a post-it note for every item of content
or functionality that gets mentioned.

In the second half, I start on a blank sheet to collate ideas into an
actual site because we actually don't have unlimited time and money.
We identify common things from the morning and copy them across. We
then figure out whether one site will fit all needs, whether there has
to be fast-tracks for each user type or separate sites.

For the stakeholder's needs, for each of their requirements, we work
out how we know what information we can collect to see if the site's
doing a good job.

We eventually prioritise as must-have, nice-to-have and next-phase.

An example document following one of these workshops (from 2001), is at:

  http://www.limov.com/library/windsor-half-marathon-website-requirements.lml

It was for a half marathon web site. The user representatives and stakeholders
were an elite runner, an experienced runner, an inexperienced runner,
a sponsor (Nike), a corporate friend, a recipient charity and the race director.

Paola
--
http://www.paolability.com/