[Sigia-l] The design of plain text (fixed font) reports

Paola Kathuria paola at limov.com
Fri Apr 6 12:00:02 EDT 2012

Hello,

Do you know of any best-practice guides to design data-heavy tabular reports
to be displayed in fixed font in mail messages?

I've got an HTML view with in-line styles, I want to create a separate
plain-text version to send to those who don't want to receive HTML mail.

I'm currently working on a free report of stallions showing the performance
of their first crop of racehorses. There's a block for each sire. For each,
its progeny are listed, followed by their race results.

What I have so far:

  HTML: http://www.paolability.com/share/sires-html.jpg
  Same data in plain text: http://www.paolability.com/share/sires-text.jpg

I'm having trouble clearly denoting the hierarchy of information, what belongs
to what. It just comes down to line style and blank lines, I know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paola