[Sigia-l] Affordable Eye Tracking

GZobel gregzobel at grinbath.com
Tue May 31 11:56:32 EDT 2011

Hi Folks,

I'm submitting this press release here because I believe that list members
will be interested in affordable eye tracking. Affordable eye tracking can
encourage many more students and researchers to work with eye tracking.

Best,
gz

Lubbock, May 31, 2011: A team of Texas Tech University (TTU) researchers has
founded a new startup technology company, Grinbath LLC, which will debut
EyeGuide™, a low-cost, highly effective eye tracking system, at the
Usability Professionals Conference in Atlanta on June 21.

Many fields, ranging from marketing and design to medicine and usability,
rely on the accuracy of eye tracking to understand how users view and
interact with products. But most available eye tracking technology is
expensive. “As usability professionals, we were frustrated because we knew
there were many like us who wanted to use eye tracking, but just couldn’t
afford current systems on the market,” said Dr. Brian Still, Grinbath’s CEO.
“EyeGuide™ changes all this. We’ve made it to be reliable, versatile, and
full-featured, so those in industry, government, and education who would
like to integrate eye tracking into their work, research, or classroom can
do so confidently, and affordably. Great technology shouldn’t be
cost-prohibitive.”

Grinbath EyeGuide™, as a complete system, includes lightweight, wireless
headwear that fits almost any user, runs on standard AAA batteries, and
makes use of patent pending technology to allow testing on those wearing
glasses or contacts. Its software works on Windows or Macs. Calibration is
fast and easy. Key data, such as time on task and time-to-first-fixation are
gathered and can be displayed graphically along with other valuable
visualizations, including gaze plots, clusters, bee swarms, and heat maps.
EyeGuide™ also makes the export of this data easy. Video is made available
in .webM, an open source, royalty free video format, and if researchers want
to do additional analysis EyeGuide™ saves test data in .csv, .html, and .png
file formats.

The EyeGuide™ system, including the headwear and software to capture and
analyze eye tracking data, begins at $1,495 for commercial consumers.
Education, government, and non-profit buyers pay only $1,179 per system.
Discounts on these prices are available for multiple system purchases. But
it isn’t just affordable. “We built this not just to be the least expensive
eye tracking system,” Still said. “We are committed for it to be the most
user-centered. That’s why we guarantee free upgrades to the software, based
on user feedback, for the lifetime of the system. We also will offer free
online (or inexpensive on-site) training supplemented by customer service
that promises attentive, expert technical support in less than 24 hours.”

Grinbath LLC has other eye-related technology in the development stage, with
a planned release in early 2012, which will allow physically challenged
users to navigate the web, use desktop software, or even play games, with
their eyes. “Going forward,” Still said, “we are committed to creating
effective, affordable, accessible technology. EyeGuide™ is just the start.”

Contact: Dr. Brian Still
806.438.5849 www.grinbath.com grinbath at grinbath.com