[Sigia-l] Best Tool for Requirements Capture and Management

Louise Hewitt louise.hewitt at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 04:40:11 EST 2011

I still keep coming back to excel.

You can share it with anyone on the planet,

it's easy to configure matrix etc. to capture / express what you need to track and communicate, but keep them all collected within a workbook

it has a universal comments functionality that tracks who wrote what and can be hidden

it isn't internet-connection-dependent

did I mention you can share with anyone on the planet.

Most of the difficulties I've found with projects have come from not having clearly agreed requirements, that means having them considered from every angle. The business will need certain things, the users will want certain things, the dev teams will need actionable use cases.

I use excel as my record of all this, modifying the way I communicate the info (ppt, wireframe, spec) as necessary, but alway making sure that the excel 'bible' is driving these deliverables and up to date.

Lou.