[Sigia-l] the role of IAs in Data Journalism?

Martin Belam martin.belam at currybet.net
Mon Jan 10 18:51:03 EST 2011

[also decloaks lurking]

As Information Architect at The Guardian who has worked on a couple of
the things you have mentioned, I couldn't help but comment. I've
summed up your debate on my blog and added a few thoughts of my own,
which boil down to...

"I haven't particularly been involved directly with analysing any data
for journalistic purposes, although I do generally get some oversight
of tools like the COINS explorer or MPs expenses tool before they go
live. This has chiefly been in an advisory capacity, where I'm most
likely to point out one or two tweaks to the interface that will
improve usability, than raise huge issues about the structure of the
data.

Where I've had more impact is in thinking about the way that users can
find and explore data sets for themselves, and I've previously blogged
for guardian.co.uk about the information architecture behind the World
Government Data store -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/aug/10/government-data-information-architecture

A lot of journalists are only just getting used to having to work
alongside computer programmers - let alone the more esoteric digital
disciplines like information architecture or user experience.

For me, job titles are unimportant - it is all about having the
skillset of organising information, the willingness to collaborate,
and the ability to empathise with the end user or reader. Journalists
show that empathy when they synthesize complex stories in a way that
their readers can understand. Information architects show that empathy
when they arrange complex information structures in a way that users
can easily comprehend, navigate, and find what they want. They can
definitely be a natural fit for datajournalism purposes."

http://www.currybet.net/cbet_blog/2011/01/information-architects-datajournalism.php

Martin