No subject

Tue Dec 6 21:10:36 EST 2011

> Ageism is as offensive as other types of stereotyping, right up there with
racism and sexism. It is plain that causing offense has not been a great
concern to some on this board lately, but allow me to suggest that those who
want to achieve success in its truest form, professionally or otherwise,
will never do so without developing at least a small measure of compassion
and respect.

And studies show that employers are hiring older folks more because they
display more maturity, leadership, and have a depth and breadth of knowledge
and experience that younger candidates can't match.  This was a large reason
more experienced staff was retained and less experienced were let go during
this last downturn in comparison to the 80's downturn when the young bucks
were kept to make the bottom line more attractive.

> Add to mix our decreasing social benefits and the current state of
retirement investments, and it looks like you will be competing for jobs
with boomers for some time to come. Yet in an environment of diversity, this
is something to be embraced rather than disdained. Everyone has something to
offer, even in the post dot-com age.