No subject

Tue Dec 6 21:10:36 EST 2011

artificially overlaid structure where all files are links and the actual
file and / or data is in a database - there can even be distinct advantages
to this approach.

With breadcrumbs I would start by asking:

- Why do you want them to be there as designer?
What other content is linked to this content heirachically or otherwise that
a breadcrumb could be used for linking to? What do you want to lead users
into...? For me, Amazon does this better with it's book suggestions than
breadcrumbs as these are far more focussed.

- What does your user want to get out of them?
Do they want to see where they are? Look at related topics?

- Why might they need to be there?
Is there a definite cross referencing or other advantage to having them - or
is your core navigation so rubbish no-one will have a clue what is going on
without them.

- Can you make the approach consistent?
Across the whole site, we can't...:) http://www.bbc.co.uk too impractical,
too irrelevant, too unnecessary. If it's not consistent then where and how
can it be useful, and is it too confusing if it is not consistent?

As for terminology - my mum still thinks breadcrumbs are in the breadbin and
when she finds them she throws them in the real bin. So do all her friends.
As long as we understand them as the same thing it doesn't matter.

The more interesting part of the discussion has been around how, when and
where to use them and what types of breadcrumbs might be considered.

Cheers,

jod