[Sigia-l] Call For Participation: Digital Humanities and Computer Science

Shlomo Argamon argamon at iit.edu
Wed Oct 7 14:45:39 EDT 2009

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Critical Computing:
Models and Challenges for Interdisciplinary Collaboration
2009 Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science

November 14-16, 2009

Illinois Institute of Technology
Hermann Hall, 3241 S Federal St.
McCormick-Tribune Campus Center, 3201 S State St.
Chicago, IL

http://dhcs.iit.edu

The annual Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer
Science (DHCS) brings together researchers and scholars in the
humanities and computer science to advance interdisciplinary
collaborations between the digital humanists and computer scientists,
advancing the area as a field of intellectual inquiry and identifying
new directions and perspectives for future research.

Such collaborative research poses both problems and opportunities:

* How can computation provide new critical and interpretative tools for
humanists?
* How can humanities scholarship help us understand the meaning and
import of
computational analysis of human artifacts?

Program: http://dhcs.iit.edu/program.html
Registration: http://dhcs.iit.edu/registration.html

INVITED SPEAKERS:

* Stephen Wolfram, founder and CEO of Wolfram Research, creator of
Mathematica, and author of A New Kind of Science.

* Vasant Honavar, professor of Computer Science at Iowa State
University, and founding director of the Artificial Intelligence
Research Laboratory and the Center for Computational Intelligence,
Learning & Discovery.

* Roger B. Dannenberg, Associate Research Professor of Computer
Science and Art at Carnegie Mellon University, and fellow of the
Studio for Creative Inquiry.

BIRDS-OF-A-FEATHER WORKSHOP SESSIONS:

November 14, 2009: 1:00-5:00

Location:
Illinois Institute of Technology
McCormick Tribune Campus Center
3201 S. State St., Chicago, IL 60616

As we did last year, we invite participants to organize workshops and
informal, "birds-of-a-feather" workshop meetings on the day before the
colloquium’s regular paper and poster sessions. We envision the
pre-colloquium being used for seminars and/or tutorials on topics that
will feature in the colloquium's paper presentations as well as more
informal exchanges on topics of common interest (e.g. "digital
archaeology"). You may wish to consult last year's BoF schedule:

http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/dhcs2008/schedule/pre-colloquium/

for some examples.

If you are interested in organizing a session, please contact Mark
Olsen (markymaypo57 at gmail dawt com) with a title, brief synopsis,
and preferred time slot which we will post on the colloquium site.

TRAVEL GRANTS FOR STUDENTS:

We are very pleased to be able to offer $500 towards travel expenses
to three graduate students who wish to participate in DHCS 2009.
Please see http://dhcs.iit.edu/student_travel.html for more
information.

DHCS 2009 SPONSORED BY:
* Illinois Institute of Technology