[Sigia-l] Anyone using Atlas ti?

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Mon Mar 30 20:43:27 EDT 2009

On 30/3/09 7:51 AM, "Ziya Oz" <listera at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> It's social sciences software
>
> What on earth does it do?
> It's homepage does an abysmal job of explaining just what it is.

one click from the home page, labeled "what can ATLAS.ti do for me?" ...

> ATLAS.ti serves as a powerful utility for qualitative analysis, particularly
> when working with larger bodies of textual, graphical, audio, and video data.
> The content or subject matter of these materials is in no way limited to any
> one particular field of scientific or scholarly investigation. Typical
> application areas for ATLAS.ti are characterized by a systematic, yet creative
> approach to analyzing unstructured data.
>
> Common areas of application include:
> anthropology     criminology     economics
> educational sciences     ethnological studies     history
> knowledge acquisition     legal studies     linguistics
> literary studies     management studies     psychology
> sociology     stylistics     software engineering
> theology     political sciences     ....
>
> ...and many other document-based research areas.
>
> ATLAS.ti can be of great help in any field where this kind of "soft data"
> analysis is carried out. While the program was originally designed with the
> social scientist in mind, it has been put to use in areas that we had not
> initially anticipated. These areas include psychology, literature, medicine,
> software engineering, quality control, criminology, administration, text
> linguistics, stylistics, knowledge management, history, geography, theology,
> and law.
>
> Especially because of ATLAS.ti's strength in working with graphical, audio,
> and video data, there is virtually no limit on the types of fields where it
> can be used productively. New applications emerge constantly. Listed below are
> a few "uncommon," but nonetheless typical usage scenarios for ATLAS.ti:
>
>   * Medicine: X-ray images, computer tomograms, microscoped samples. Example
>   * Anthropology: video taped gestures, mimics
>   * Architecture: annotated floorplans
>   * History: research video archives
>   * Engineering: "exploded" part lists with descriptions
>   * Psychotherapy: graphical add-ons (Rohrschach patterns?) to reports
>   * Graphology: micro comments to handwriting features.
>   * Criminology: letters, finger prints, photographs, incident based profiling
>   * Quality assurance: video taped feasibility studies of user interfaces
>   * Arts: detailed interpretative descriptions of paintings. Example
>   * Publishing: archiving images
>   * add your own field of research, study, or professional activity

This description reminded me of another product. A quick google search
turned up an article comparing Atlas.ti and the other tool for QDA purposes.
The fact the site's own description led me to think of it in the same sense
as another product which turns out to do the same kind of thing tells me it
does a pretty good job describing itself.

Oh yeah, you want the link to that other QDA software? It's called Nudist,
as a fan of algorithmic driven information access you should have no trouble
finding it. I'll make it easy for your:
     http://www.google.com.au/search?q=nudist

e.