[Sigia-l] PLUG: Recession-friendly pre-con at the IA Summit

Hallie Wilfert halliewilfert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 13:53:52 EST 2009

Hi folks - -

Do you want to do user research but there's just no cash to do it?

Lorelei Brown and I are presenting a half-day session at the IA Summit on
Wednesday March 18 that might just help. We're teaming up to bring you a
half day on the ins and outs of learning about users when you can't talk to
them. Our techniques will let you do user research on a budget, construct
effective arguments for your decisions, and keep you from designing in a
vacuum.

We've both presented at past Summits  - you'll remember Lorelei's talks
about failure and my talk about web analytics and IA (and before that my
grandmother the IA)  BTW - my grandmother is still talking about how she is
a great information architect!!

Here's the official description:

Information Archaeology, or How to discover the users when talking to them
isn't an option is a great workshop for anyone faced with who needs to
justify their design decisions, but doesn't have the resources or time to
organize full-scale user research. We'll show how to dig through all your
data, look at external resources and set effective metrics to prove to
anyone that your work is successful. We'll even coach you through the
meeting from hell, so that you'll be battle ready when it's time to meet
with the stakeholders.

http://iasummit.org/2009/program/pre-con/information-archaeology-how-to-discover-the-users-when-talking-to-them-isnt-an-option/

Hope to see you there!

Hallie