[Sigia-l] Thoughts on Paper Prototyping at NNG Usability Week

Lee Hsieh lhsieh at simpleclarity.com
Thu Jun 19 16:24:05 EDT 2008

Yes, paper prototypes are really the most efficient and economical method to putting a strw man in front of users.  Not only is low cost in terms of time/resources, it sets a low hurdle for immediate, iterative improvemnt.  Also, participants realize it's more conceptual so won't glom onto visual design issues which can become a distraction the more polished the prototype becomes. Depeding on your budget/sched, you can use your lo-fi paper version to create a more hi-fi interactive version.

In terms of logistics, i would recommend just 1 person acting as the moderator/machine vs 2-3 and recording the session.  The problem with having multiple personnel and one participant is that it creates a dynamic where the indivdual feels under pressure to rush their thinking, and often, say somehting they dont actually mean.

Lee