[Sigia-l] Search Patterns

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Sat Feb 9 09:28:34 EST 2008

On 6/2/08 12:47 AM, "Peter Morville" <morville at semanticstudios.com> wrote:

> I'm working on a new book about the future of search and have created a seed
> collection of patterns and examples to support my research:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/morville/collections/72157603785835882/
>
> Over time, I hope to add patterns that illustrate user behavior and the
> information architecture of search. In the meantime, please take a look -
> add tags, notes, and comments - and suggest new examples. Cheers!

Peter,

here's a nice example of a smarter search:

1. go to http://www.wowhead.com/
2. type in a search term like "architecture"

similar to Google's search suggestion, a list of options drop down under the
search field matching what you've type so far. Note though that it's not
matching against popular keywords or user typed entries, but rather proper
terms within the database (ie. the names of things).

Nice to also notice that if you type too much it doesn't go ahead and show
zero suggestions, but instead continues to show the last set of suggestions
that were visible. For the example above you'd see the same suggestions for
"architectxxx" as "architect".

e.