[Sigia-l] Integrating a UCD approach into an existing process

Ron stbasil777 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 18:38:00 EST 2008

Hi all,

I'm new here but wanted to get some input from seasoned usability
professionals/practitioners. The process in which I work has traditionally
not held usability/UCD in high esteem and as such user input/usability
testing/user validation of information and designs has not been a part of
the lifecycle. Development tends to run the asylum but now there is an
opening to change that. My question is how would you attempt to integrate
UCD/users into an existing process that traditionally has not had user input
into UI design?

We will be making site visits to where the users work. My thought here is
that while we can evaluate them in their normal work context that designers
will also be able to obtain valuable user feedback during this time. We may
be able to take a prototype with us to do some on-site usability testing.

Basically I am curious: how does your process work? When do you interact
with users in your lifecycle? When do you do usability testing?

Also - what do you think is the most valuable source of user
input/validation in your practice? If anything I'd want to try to get in
what is most necessary and am trying to ascertain what absolutely has to be
done...

Thanks in advance! I know it is a sort of open-ended question but any advice
would be held as very valuable.

Basil