[Sigia-l] A little help from the pros...

Allison Minni minni at hawaii.edu
Wed Feb 6 21:29:16 EST 2008

Hi guys,

Im a LIS student and I'm having issues labeling a link on a library website I'm working on. Its stumped everyone I've asked about it so I'm hoping you can help.

 The current label is 'streaming videos' and its a link to a list of various sites that offer video i.e. YouTube, history videos, travel videos, online tv etc... but I'm hesitant on using that because streaming is not a word you hear every day and when its used has more technical implications than a category or type and I don't want to confuse or scare users away.

I'm so so on using 'online video' because of its redundancy (Its a link on a web page, you are already online so of course it is too.) and because it seems like online is over used a lot these days and not very descriptive.

We thought about just calling it 'video' but then rejected that because while simple its really not that descriptive.

I know this is something that usually gets answered by usability tests but  those are not available in my current situation thus my plea of help to you..  Does a better word exist?

Any and all suggestion are welcome, even if its just telling me I'm over thinking this too much.

Thanks,
Ali