[Sigia-l] Apple's Profit Margins (was: Mac-like design)

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 15 00:23:03 EDT 2007

Will Parker:

> '80 billion cockroaches can't be wrong'

They will survive humans.

> Am I correct in believing that Apple is the only phone vendor who
> gets a kickback on the cell service provider's subscription revenue?

Nope, RIM with BlackBerry Connect essentially gets a piece of subs. Remember
they also provide back-end services for email stuff to telcos and take a
cut.

> I can tell you from bitter experience that EVERY time Apple does
> something amazing, technically or financially or both, the stock
> price will drop by 8% the next day, and won't fully recover for the
> next month.

Except that running up to the event it would have gained 15%. AAPL: buy on
rumor, sell on news.

> As far as I can tell, Apple could include a lifesize working copy of
> the starship Enterprise (plus Kirk, Spock and McCoy) with every
> purchase, and investors would rush to sell off the stock because the
> bundle didn't include an FM radio.

Yes, but Zune can do WiFi sharing. :-)

On a more serious note, high level execs from both Nokia and Moto recently
heaped lavish praise on Apple/iPhone. That I find both refreshing and
positive. The design bar has been irrevocably set high now.

It depends.
If it didn't, you'd be out of a job.