[Sigia-l] Copying design...fashionably

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 16:00:27 EDT 2007

Andrew Boyd:

> Does truly great design always have to cost a lot of money?

Generally speaking, yes.

If by cost we mean price, it depends on supply and demand. As long as
there's demand for great design, it will sustain high price. Why wouldn't
it?

If, on the other hand, some great designer is 'selling' stuff below what it
would otherwise garner in a 'free' market, then there are other factors of
non-monetary compensation, in which case traditional cost/price notions
don't quite apply.

Do you ever see a great sports figure, for instance, that doesn't cost a lot
of money, over several contract cycles? Almost never.

The converse does not necessarily apply, of course: not everything that
costs a lot of money is great design.

Bu then again I live in the Wall Street area. ;-)

It depends.
If it didn't, you'd be out of a job.