[Sigia-l] Rant: One for the OmniGraffle users

Andrew Boyd facibus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 04:27:52 EDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Ziya Oz <listera at earthlink.net> wrote:
> You say that because they fly you out to Las Vegas twice a year, I bet. :-)

They haven't yet, but I wouldn't mind if they did :)

> So how/why does it work?

I create pages, click generate prototype, it becomes HTML that I can
show clients. I click create spec, it becomes a Word document I can
write some words around and PDF and hand to a developer. Nothing much
unique there.

6 onload states in release 4.6 means that I can emulate AJAX nicely -
create prototypes that change all over the place without reloading -
cool for contextual form design (though I have to tip my hat to Matt
Hodgson as the master of emulating RIAs in Axure).

And what it does, it does easily - this is probably the "killer app"
of Axure - what it does, it does easily.

Give me something that works as well in OSX, and I will love it just
the same, and promote it at widely. Stephen Hall and I did an
out-of-session presentation on Axure at Oz-IA last year, Matt
mentioned it at Oz-IA this year, both Matt and I mentioned it at
several other presentations, we've recommended it to several client
organisations and several other consultants are now using it - in
short, we love Axure.

There are several diagramming tools that work almost as well as Visio
for OSX - I want a rapid prototyping tool because that is what I need
at this stage of my life. If I had all day to produce one perfect
screen concept, I would of course use PhotoShop. If I had all week to
produce 20 detailed spec screens and didn't have anything else at my
disposal I would use Visio or some other layer(ish) diagramming tool
(and I've seen some amazing things done to extend Visio - thank you
Donna M. for raising the profile of all the good things that can be
done with it).

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards, Andrew
--