[Sigia-l] How do you organize your Search/Taxonomy function?

Emmi Costello emmi.costello at abbott.com
Fri Oct 26 13:27:39 EDT 2007

 Our orgn, a Fortune 500 pharma/medical/nutrition products company, is
considering restructuring the functional team/s for its Search and
Taxonomy businesses, which serve internal business customers (i.e.,
divisions, departments which need Search or Taxonomy services for their
intranet collections) as well as external customers with similar services
for our eBusiness/Marketing Internet websites.

We'd like to consider some practices in action from various industry
perspectives as we re-shape our team/s.   We are considering mashing up
the teams into one cross-functional team.  We're especially interested in
feedback from list members who are either on staff or have consulted
w/mid- to large-sized companies.

Please take a moment to share a brief description of how your company has
structured its Search & Taxonomy functional team/s. For example:
-How do you manage Search &/or Taxo work -- do you divide up workload into
specific areas of technical expertise, general project management, client
management functions? Or use other models?
-Do you have people focused on either or both areas of Search vs. Taxo?
-Does your Search &/orTaxo function work together as part of an umbrella
team, or independently?
-Are Search &/or Taxo part of another group, such as your organization's
Knowledge Management, IT, eBusiness, Marketing, User Experience, Library
group, etc.?

Big thanks!

Emmi Costello
Sr. Info. Scientist, Knowledge Mgmt.
Library Information Resources
Global Knowledge Resource Systems
Abbott
100 Abbott Park Road
Dept. 043T, Bldg. AP6B-1
Abbott Park, IL 60064-6107
Phone 847.938.8042
Fax 847.937.6282
Hours 6:50-3:30, M-F
emmi.costello at abbott.com

This communication may contain information that is proprietary,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, please note that any other dissemination, distribution, use or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Anyone who receives
this message in error should notify the sender immediately by telephone or
by return e-mail and delete it from his or her computer.