[Sigia-l] web site design vs RSS

Ziya Oz listera at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 19 03:04:10 EDT 2007

Andrew Boyd:

> don't dumb the RSS feed down to the point of uselessness

In mid-August, like Paula I emailed a blog author asking for pictures in her
RSS feeds. This blog is recipes (I won't name it). The recipes are good but
I really liked the large, gorgeous pictures of the dishes. As I mentioned
before I have an inability to deal with food without pictures. So I wrote
three emails trying to convince her. It turns out, she thought the first one
was someone trying to steal her original photos. Then I explained the need
and the technicalities involved. She kind of saw why RSS pictures may be
good for everyone. But she was really conflicted; she kept telling me how
much time she spends setting up and taking those pictures and how she wanted
people to come to the site and and browse by pictures, etc. I didn't give
up, of course :-) She then told me it was her daughter who does all the
technical and management stuff for the blog and that she'd consult with her.

I felt a bit embarrassed by all this, as I thought that I was causing her
some measure of inconvenience. About a month later, one rainy day here, I
found a lovely picture of an apple tart recipe. Yesss.

Next mission? Convincing developers of MacGourmet, YummySoup, etc., to offer
RSS subs to arbitrary recipe sites with auto-formatted imports. Like I
mentioned, this whole food thing on the Internets is just primitive.

It depends.
If it didn't, you'd be out of a job.