[Sigia-l] Properties Window: Modal vs Non-modal

Oleg Krupnov oleg.krupnov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 23:52:26 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm looking for the better way to present object properties to the
user, namely,  should the Properties window be modal or non-modal.

In existing applications I find that both ways are widely and mixedly
used and I'm not sure about their reasoning and I don't know how the
users would prefer.

Non-modal properties windows (e.g. in Photoshop and other Adobe apps)
hang on the screen all the time and their content updates depending on
the currently selected object and give quick access to that object's
properties. The problem with non-modal windows is that 1) the
connection between object and its properties is not very obvious, 2)
it is not very intuitive when the changes in the properties window are
committed (on leave focus? what about if I need to change multiple
properties before committing? what if I forget to click outside the
properties window?), and I haven't seen "Apply" buttons practiced in
such windows; and 3) new objects need to be first created with some
default properties and then they can be modified in the non-modal
properties window.

In contrast, modal windows (e.g. in Word) resolve all the above issues
but they are not so quickly accessed (additional "show properties"
command need to be called) and the changes are not seen until you
close the modal window.

I'd appreciate your advice.

Oleg.