[Sigia-l] IA of manuals

Bob Doyle bobdoyle at skybuilders.com
Fri Oct 5 12:39:17 EDT 2007

Hi Luca,

Ruth Kaufman is right about DITA.

The IA of the IA Institute is about document collections, since many IAs are
former librarians.

The IA of DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture) is about the
internal architecture of a single document, especially technical
documentation.

DITA is all about single-source documents that can be published to many
output deliverables, like web, print and help systems. And it's about reuse
of small components or topics, that can be assembled dynamically to create
different deliverables for different audiences.

I wrote an article about this here:
http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleReader.aspx?ArticleID=18742

You can find more about DITA at the official DITA community webiste
http://dita.xml.org,

and at our network of DITA Users sites. DITA Users has nearly 400 members
from 21 countries.
http://www.ditausers.org
http://www.ditanews.com
http://www.ditawiki.org
http://www.ditainfocenter.com

Cheers,

Bob.

On 10/4/07, Luca Rosati <lucarosati at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for resources on IA of technical documentation:
> structures and organizational models for user manuals, tutorials etc.
> (both papered and electronic) of consumer products (electronics,
> household appliances etc.).
>
> Can you suggest me best practices or guidelines?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Luca
>
> ---
> Luca Rosati
> http://lucarosati.it
> http://trovabile.org
>

> ------------
> IA Summit 2008: "Experiencing Information"
> April 10-14, 2008, Miami, Florida
>
> -----
> *Plain text, please; NO Attachments

Bob Doyle
Editor In Chief, CMS Review - http://www.cmsreview.com
Founder, DITA Users -  http://www.ditausers.org
Former Technology Advisor, CM Pros -
http://www.cmprofessionals.org/membership/cm-profiles/bob-doyle
Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine -
http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleIndex.aspx?ContextSubtypeID=71
President and CEO, skyBuilders - http://www.skybuilders.com
77 Huron Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138