[Sigia-l] Fwd: [IxDA Announcement] IxDA NYC Event : Design Studio with Josh Seiden & Ted Booth, October 25th.

David Malouf dave.ixd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 19:56:32 EDT 2007

[Please excuse the cross post and be sure to RSVP to the email address
mentioned in the message.]

Hi NYC IxDers,

IxDA NYC is proud to launch our Design Studio Series. The first session of
the series will be an intensive design session held in a studio setting. We
supply a real-world design problem, a studio, and the design mentors; you
bring the design chops!

Please join us to:
* Interact with peers and share ideas on best practices, methods, and
strategy in a design studio setting.
* Interact with mentors with 20+ years of design experience, up close and
personal.
* Be part of a group who are passionately practicing Interaction Design and
who are pushing the field forward.

When: October 25th, 2007, 6pm - 9pm.
Where: Details provided upon RSVP (e-mail nyc-rsvp at ixda (dot) org ) .

*Pizza and drinks will be served, and donations will be appreciated.*

More about the event:
If you feel like you're dealing with the same design problems day-to-day,
come meet a new challenge! In the first session of our Design Studio series,
we will pose a design problem for you to tackle in small groups. Our mentors
will be available to talk shop, provide guidance, and help you get unstuck.

During the session, you'll pick up techniques that you can bring back to
work. At the end of the session, each group will present their solution and
get a brief critique of the design thinking that went into it. With your
permission, we will make some work available on line, or even offer your
work for implementation on a not-for-profit basis.

You don't have a write a book to become an interaction design rock star;
there are other ways! Come show off your skills and learn a few new ones
from our experts. And most of all, come have some fun doing what you love
with people who are just as passionate as you!

Are you up for the challenge? To sign up for this free session, send us an
email at nyc-rsvp at ixda.org mailto:ixda.org at ixda.org . Include in the
RSVP a brief introduction of yourself (less than 100 words) . This will help
us put people in groups more effectively and to tell our mentors ahead of
time who they will be working with.

Do it now! Space is limited.

About our Mentors

Joshua Seiden, Design Manager, Liquidnet , Inc.
Joshua Seiden manages the design group at Liquidnet (USA) , an electronic
brokerage firm serving institutional equity traders. Previously, he was the
founder and President of 36 Partners, a NYC interaction design and user
experience consulting firm. In the 1990's, Josh served on the leadership
team at Cooper Interaction Design. He has designed digital products in a
broad range of industries and for a wide variety of audiences. In doing so,
he has had the opportunity to mentor, work with, and learn from many
talented interaction designers. Josh sits on the Board of Directors of the
Interaction Design Association, a professional organization that promotes
the field of interaction design.

Ted Booth, Interaction Design Director, Smart Design
Ted leads interaction design in the New York office of Smart Design. His
team focuses on designing new interactions for a wide range of consumer
products and services. Interaction designers at Smart work closely with
industrial designers, design researchers, mechanical engineers and
electrical engineers to create enjoyable and satisfying consumer
experiences.
Prior to joining Smart, Ted led interaction design at Motorola Enterprise
Mobility (formerly Symbol Technologies) working on a wide range of mobile
computers, RFID devices, remote management software services, and desktop
and mobile software applications. Before that, he was an interaction design
consultant working with clients including Autodesk, Gucci, Johnson &
Johnson, HP, Microsoft, and Palm. During this time, Ted was the Interaction
Design Director at Method, a consulting firm specializing in brand identity,
web design, and product user interface. He began his design career as an
interaction designer at MetaDesign in San Francisco. He holds a Masters of
Design from Illinois Institute of Technology.

Again, please e-mail nyc-rsvp at ixda dot org. And as always, if you are
interested in getting involved with the NYC IxDA, please e-mail us at nyc at
ixda dot org. http://gamma.ixda.org/

See you soon!
David Malouf
on behalf of the event organizer, Liya Zheng
IxDA NYC